Mindfish’s Summer Reading Groups
- Boost reading comprehension and vocabulary
- Enjoy great books and group discussions
- Discover or develop a love of reading
- Use the summer to build language skills
This summer, Mindfish is offering two summer reading seminars (Fiction and Nonfiction) for high school students. These seminars are designed to foster a love of reading while enhancing reading skills and comprehension. They combine engaging group discussions and creative activities with short writing assignments to allow students multiple ways to respond to what they are reading. These seminars are great for:
- Rising sophomores or juniors looking to enhance reading skills ahead of the PSAT/SAT/ACT or challenging fall classes.
- High school students who seldom read for pleasure but would like to
- Students who enjoy reading and would like to take part in a reading group
- Graduated high school seniors who want to brush up on reading skills ahead of entering college
Our fiction reading group will explore works of classic and contemporary fiction, including the following potential books:
John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men
Shirley Jackson: We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Junot Diaz: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Short stories by Tim O’Brien, Julio Cortázar, Jamaica Kincaid, and Flannery O’Conner.
This reading group is led by Helen Terndrup, an accomplished novelist with a long pedigree of teaching literature and writing at the high school and college level.