Founded by two Stanford University graduates, Mindfish empowers students to achieve academic success on the AP Chemistry exam. At Mindfish, we offer a 100% customized AP Chemistry prep in both online and in-person environments. With a deep history of innovation in education, Mindfish takes test prep beyond the traditional classroom setting through virtual learning. Our distance learning courses can be taken in multiple sittings, and are available seven days a week to better accommodate your student’s busy schedule.
Preparing for the enormous AP Chemistry exam can feel daunting, especially since many college-bound high school students register for exams in other AP subjects. Luckily, Mindfish’s fully customized AP exam prep programs offer the robust support students need to balance the demands of multiple AP classes with the challenge of preparing for the rigorous AP Chemistry exams.
Administered in May each year, the Advanced Placement Chemistry exam tests high school students on concepts present in introductory-level college courses. Scoring well on the AP exam can also earn your college credit. But earning that coveted score of 5 requires polished time management and study skills, as well as a dedication to mastering the challenging Chemistry concepts
What Topics are on the AP Chemistry Exam?
The AP Chemistry Exam will challenge you to prove your prowess in the following areas:
- Experimental design
- Analyzing data and identifying patterns or explaining phenomena
- Creating or analyzing atomic and molecular views to explain observations
- Articulating and then translating between representations of data
- Following logical/analytical pathways to solve a problem
The AP Chemistry test centers around nine major units, covering all the topics covered in the AP Chemistry course.
- Unit 1: Atomic Structures and Properties – moles and molar mass, periodic trends, atomic structure, and electron configuration, etc.
- Unit 2: Molecular & Ionic Compound Structure and Properties – chemical bonds, Lewis diagrams, and the structures of metals and alloys, etc.
- Unit 3: Intermolecular Forces and Properties –ideal gas law, kinetic molecular theory, solutions, and mixtures, etc.
- Unit 4: Chemical Reactions – stoichiometry, physical and chemical changes, and acid-base reactions, etc.
- Unit 5: Kinetics – reaction rate, and steady-state approximation, etc.
- Unit 6: Thermodynamics – energy diagrams, heat transfer, thermal equilibrium, and Hess’s Law, etc.
- Unit 7: Equilibrium – Le Chatelier’s Principle, the direction of reversible reactions, and calculating equilibrium concentrations, etc.
- Unit 8: Acids and Bases – acid-base titrations, molecular structures of acids and bases, and the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, etc.
- Unit 9: Applications of Thermodynamics – cell potential and free energy, coupled reactions, electrolysis, and Faraday’s Law, etc.
How Long Does the AP Chemistry Exam Last?
The AP Chemistry exam includes 60 multiple-choice questions and 7 free-response questions, including 3 long essays and 4 short-answer questions. Each section represents 50% of your score. Lasting 3 hours and 15 minutes, you’ll have 90 minutes to complete the multiple-choice section in part 1, and 105 minutes for the free-response questions in part 2.
The multiple-choice section on the AP Chemistry exam assesses both content knowledge and science practices. Some of these questions are part of question groups, which consist of a few questions that ask about one set of data.
What is a Good AP Chemistry Score?
Scores of 3, 4, or 5 are considered “passing” scores on the AP Chemistry Exam. The College Board describes a 3 as ‘qualified,’ 4 as ‘well qualified,’ and a 5 as ‘extremely well qualified.’ Furthermore, earning a 3 may qualify you for college credit, but most colleges only accept 4’s or 5’s. To calculate your student’s AP Chemistry multiple-choice score, all of the correct answers get added together to earn a maximum of 60 points on the multiple-choice section.
Calculating scores for the free-response section are more complex. Short-response questions are worth 4 points and long-response questions are worth 10 points, which results in a maximum of 46 points in this section.
The Top AP Chemistry Tutors in Denver & Boulder, CO
Of the top 50 cities in the United States, Denver ranked the 10th best city for families. The score was largely based on high rankings in rent affordability and education. Whether you’re an adrenaline seeker or just looking to enjoy nature’s beauty, there are dozens of day trips suitable for the entire family all year round. Nearly 92,000 students attend schools within the Denver Public Schools (DPS), consisting of 92 elementary schools, 18 K-8 schools, 34 middle schools, 44 high schools, and 19 charter schools. Students living in the nearby Denver area can enroll in Colorado State University, Colorado College, and Regis University.
Meanwhile, Boulder boasts a renowned reputation for its art district, local culture, and educational excellence. With the downtown Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra and Pearl Street Mall, visitors can enjoy a classic show and dining options within the nearby area. Students living in the nearby Boulder area can attend renowned institutions such as the University of Colorado Boulder and Naropa University.
Unlock AP Chemistry Mastery with Mindfish
Before tutoring begins, Mindfish analyzes each student’s strengths, obstacles, learning style, and goals to establish a baseline for the AP Chemistry syllabus. With this personalized approach, students will develop a deeper understanding of the Chemistry material to propel students to higher AP scores.
The key to Mindfish’s success comes from our enthusiastic and compassionate tutors. Under the careful guidance of our best-in-class tutors, your Chemistry AP student will see an increase in comprehension, self-awareness, and confidence. Mindfish’s AP Chemistry tutors accommodate students at every stage in the preparation process, imparting study techniques, test-taking strategies, and reviewing material in-depth. Whether through learning pods, in-person private tutoring, or online group tutoring, the Mindfish team will chart out your best route for success.