Test Prep on Pause? Get Started on Your College Essays!
For high school juniors who’ve had their upcoming SAT and ACT test dates postponed, Mindfish is offering a special online essay boot camp to help them get a jump on their college application essays.
Tuesdays & Thursdays: 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM (Mountain Time)
October 27, October 29, November 3 & November 5
With many schools being closed temporarily and sports and extracurriculars being cancelled for the rest of the spring, students may be looking for a way to use their time productively. Our essay boot camp will provide an enjoyable and supportive structure for students to get a head-start on the essays on the Common Application: the all-important personal statement and their supplemental essays as well.
Our College Essay Boot Camp includes four one-hour sessions to guide students through the stages of planning, writing, and revising. Dial (720) 204-1041 for more information.
Class 1: Introduction to the Personal Statement
- What is a successful personal statement?
- What are college admissions officers looking for?
- What makes a good topic for your personal statement?
- How do you go from an idea to a first draft?
Class 2: Starting the Revision Process
- Looking at your draft in new ways
- Evaluating and strengthening your main idea
- Using effective organization
- Thinking about voice
Class 3: Editing and Polishing
- How to approach line-by-line editing and revising
- Coming in at the right word count
- Proofreading for grammar and punctuation
Class 4: The Supplementals
- What are supplemental essays, and why do they matter?
- How to get started on your supplementals
- Adapting supplementals for different prompts
Each boot camp session is 1 hour long and is led by our in-house essay experts, writing pros who have a long track record of success with college essays. Class size is limited to promote engagement and ensure students can easily ask questions. Students will leave each session with a specific assignment to complete ahead of the next session.
Get Individualized Feedback
Our boot camp instructor will also read and annotate each student’s essay twice, once after the first session and once after the second session, offering written notes tailored to help the student further develop their personal statement.
Learn Remotely in our Online Classroom
Students can easily participate in our college essay boot camp from their homes. We teach via Zoom video conference and have been successfully working with students online for many years. The only technology students will need is a computer with a reliable internet connection and a video camera.